Been a while since I did one of these, but this month’s challenge invites us to rant! And who doesn’t like to get off on a good rant? The rules are/were as follows:
Life’s not been great for quite a few humans recently, myself included. If I were a mature, serene type, I’d likely suggest a mature, serene acceptance and a moving forward with healing. …I’m not really that type, though, so this month’s theme is:
- Snarky Rant. That’s right: a jaded, sarcastic, fed up, perhaps even nihilistic poem in an “I stick it to you, sucky events!” manner.
- The Length is your call. This is something you get to call the shots on, after all!
- Rhyming is also up to you.
- The Rating’s still PGish to keep general audiences happy, but there are always asterisks or near-fudges for situations like this.
- Despite the he** you may have endured, make us laugh. As we lay, prone, in the minefield of calamities, help us hold our bruised ribs in a knowing and painful release of the bad times we all relate to.
You have till 10:00 a.m. MST next MONTH (February 5) to submit a poem.
If you’d like to make your own contribution, fill out the form here.
So here’s my contribution, a verse inspired by a conservative friend’s audacity to post a meme that accused Democrats of “a conspiracy to seize power” – you know, like, less than a month after Republicans literally led a violent insurrection on the Capitol Building resulting in five dead? The unmitigated gall! So, it’s rant time.
The mental gymnastics required for those leaps
must be exhausting; The Hill was too steep.
Projecting your crimes unto every other
with a straight face; you’d sell-out your mother
before you’d begin to point at yourself;
that precious pride should be put on a shelf,
wrapped in the flag that you desecrated,
with the constitution you once advocated.
No, you’re not the patriot you once pretended;
your line of credit’s been over-extended.
The amount of denial and projection required
to maintain positions in which you are mired,
are swirling with madness into the commode.
I’m really surprised